To Request a Certified Copy of a Birth Record:
People who were born in New Hartford or whose parents lived in New Hartford at the time of their birth can be issued certified copies of birth certificates either by the New Hartford Town Clerk or the Town Clerk of the town where the birth occurred.
Any person 18 years of age or older may purchase certified copies of birth records which are at least 100 years old. Access to any copy of a birth certificate more recent than that are restricted. The cost is $20.00 per copy payable by cash or check - credit cards are not accepted.
The only persons who may have access to a more recent birth certificate are:
- The person whose birth is recorded, if over the age of eighteen.
- Such person's children, grandchildren, spouse, parent, guardian or grandparent
Note: a father has access only if he is recorded on the child's birth certificate).
- The chief executive officer of the municipality where the birth occurred, or the chief executive officer's authorized agent.
- The local director of health for the town where the birth occurred or where the mother was a resident at the time of the event.
- Attorneys representing such person or such person's parent, guardian, child or surviving spouse.
- Members of genealogical societies incorporated or authorized by the Secretary of the State to do business or conduct affairs in this state.
- Agents of a state or federal agency as approved by the Department of Public Health.
- Researchers approved by the Department of Public Health.
Any eligible party requesting a copy of a birth certificate must provide verification of relationship entitling them to a copy of the birth certificate. (For example a grandparent must show a birth certificate of their child to show the chain.)
Additionally, any requester must submit the following documentation:
- The Request for Copy of Birth Certificate form.
- A valid government issued photographic identification; or if a photo id is not available, at least two of the following documents:
- a social security card
- written verification of identity from employer
- automobile registration
- copy of utility bill showing name and address
- checking account deposit slip showing name and address
- voter registration card
- Cash or Check (payable to Town of New Hartford) for $20.00 per certificate
Any agent of a state or federal agency that requests a copy shall supply a release signed by the registrant or by the parent of the minor child or legal guardian, accompanied by the requestor's agency photo ID, authorizing a copy of the birth certificate be sent to the requesting agency. All other third party requests will not be honored.
Short Form of Birth Record (wallet size copy)
Requestor must be eligible as above except the registrant may be 16 years old. This certificate gives only the name, sec, date of birth and date of filing of the certificate of birth. The cost is $15.00 per copy.
Adopted Persons Born Outside of the United States
These records are on file with the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health.
Birth Records of Person Born Abroad
Recorded with the US Dept of State on a form called "Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America".
To obtain a copy write to:
|Vital Records Section|
|1111 19th Street NW, Suite 510|
|Washington, DC 20522-1705|