Marriage Licenses

Obtaining a Marriage License

A marriage license may only be obtained from the Town Clerk of the TOWN where the ceremony will take place.  Once issued the license is good for 65 days.  There is no waiting period between applying for and receiving your license.  Blood tests are no longer required.

Both parties must appear in person in the office to sign the license and present a valid photo id.  Please plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to closing in order to process the Marriage License.

Effective July 1, 2018, the fee for the license is $50 including 1 certified copy.  Additional certified copies may be ordered for an additional $20 each and will be mailed automatically after the completed license is filed following the ceremony.  A certified copy is required by social security and DMV to make a name change.  We accept cash or check, but DO NOT accept credit cards.

You may complete the application online by clicking here - your information will be available to the Clerk's office when you arrive in person to obtain your license.  You may also print and complete the Marriage License Worksheet and bring it with you.  If you do not complete the form in advance, please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your place of birth (state or country only);
  • Your parents' places of birth (state or country only);
  • Your mother's maiden name (first and last name); and
  • The name address and phone number of the person performing the ceremony.

Once both parties have appeared in person, the application is completed, the oaths are given and the license is signed by both parties, you will leave with the actual license in hand which will be valid for 65 days.

Please give the license to the individual performing the ceremony.  Under Connecticut law the following individuals may officiate a marriage ceremony:

  • All judges, including out of state judges who are authorized to perform marriages in their jurisdictions
  • Family support magistrates, state referees and Justices of the Peace who are appointed in Connecticut.  Click here for a list of New Hartford Justices of the Peace
  • All ordained or licensed members of the clergy belonging to this state or any other state.

The person who performs the ceremony will complete the "Officiator" section of the license after he or she performs the ceremony.  By law, it is that person's responsibility to return the license to the town clerk's office in the town where the ceremony occurred.

Once the license is returned to the Town Clerk, it will be kept on file in the town permanently.  A copy will also be sent to the Connecticut town of residence for both parties if different from the town of occurrence.


Connecticut Marriage Laws

A person is eligible to enter into a marriage in the State of Connecticut if such person is:

  • not a party to another marriage;
  • at least 18 years of age, or at least 16 years of age upon approval by the local probate court of a petition filed on the minor's behalf by a parent or guardian;
  • not under the supervision of a conservator unless written consent of the conservator has been granted; and
  • not kindred