Veterans' Papers

Veteran's discharge records (DD-214) may be filed at no charge in the Town Clerk's office and under some circumstances may serve to qualify for tax relief with the Assessor's office.  To receive a veteran's exemption on the assessed value of your real or personal property, you must file your original DD-214 certificate (separation papers from active duty) in the Town Clerk's office by September 30.  A certified copy of your DD-214 previously filed with another town will be accepted if an original is not available.

To qualify for the veteran's exemption, you must have served during a time of war.  Click here to view the dates determined to be time of war by SEC. 27-103.

Duplicate copies of DD-214s can be obtained from the National Personnel Records Center by requesting a completing a Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records.

The completed form should be mailed to the appropriate address on page 3 of form 180 based upon the veteran's branch and dates of service.

Veterans and next-of-kin can now use eVetRecs to order military records online (you still must mail in a signature page).

Veterans and next-of-kin may also request copies of discharge records filed with the Town Clerk by completing the Request for copy of Armed Forces Discharge form and providing identification as indicated.

For additional information on the American Warrior's Day of Honor trips to Washington DC for World War II, Korean or Vietnam Veterans, please click here.


Veteran Support

Veterans and their families are encouraged to check out a veteran focused program within the Farmington Valley Health District. Resilience Grows Here (RGH) strives to reduce veteran isolation with peer-to-peer support, link veterans and their families to services they need and provide alternative approaches to managing mental health challenges. They also offer a training program for veteran’s dogs to establish a more meaningful relationship.

Whether you are active duty, reserves, recently separated from service or you are currently at veteran status, they want to be a resource for you and your family as you resume a civilian lifestyle. If you have been a veteran and you are now needing to reach out for assistance, they are here for you, as well.

They value your participation and feedback for the success of this program. It is an honor to assist veterans and their families.  

To learn more, visit their website or call (860) 352-2333 and ask to speak to an RGH staff member. You can also find them on Facebook!